Rotational Banner

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Injen 0-60 Run

Since the Injen CAI install, I've been feeling like I've been losing power compared to the stock airbox. However, many people that I've talked to told me that the "feel" of the car isn't an accurate indication of how fast I'm really going. People told me the only way to see how much improvement your car has gained is by going to the dyno. I suppose that's one way to do it, but since I don't feel like paying for a dyno, I did the next best thing: I gave my car another test run.
I only did a total number of two runs last night, this was the first try, 0-60 MPH in 5.42 seconds. The second was a complete failure attempt. As you can recall, the fastest I got on my full stock Camaro was 0-60 in 5.44 seconds. Therefore, the night felt like a failure. However, I will say this, I believe my launching technique wasn't sharp enough for this particular run. I felt almost hesitant to really floor my pedal. Well, 5.42 seconds is only 0.03 seconds away from hitting 5.3, and if I can get 5.3 the Injen would be suprisingly good. Also, if you really think about it, adding a bolt-on with an additional 10 HP and 10 lbs-ft shouldn't really be super obvious in such a short range test. It would probably be more evident on a 1/4 mile run.

Obviously I have been seeming kind of negative about the Injen, other than its sound. Well as I have said earlier, the power isn't that evident. However, I almost feel like the sound of the new intake makes you feel like you have more power. Forget the dynos and the speed tests, driving really is about how you feel in the car while driving. If the dyno says you've gained 10 additional horses, then by all means, "yay?". What if you FEEL slower though? What if you feel like your car is more sluggish? That takes the fun out of your driving, and it makes you worried something is wrong all the time, no? That was how I felt when I first installed it, but not so much anymore. You see, the whole time I was worried about the Injen because I was expecting too much from it. I was pushing the Injen in ways that I had not with my stock car. Therefore I came to the conclusion that it had to be broken. I'm convinced I'm wrong now though. Perhaps the ECU needed a couple days of driving to get used to the new intake. Eitherway the new intake sounds like a whole new level of beast.

I will shoot a video from inside the cabin soon, windows up and windows down, for you to hear the new sound of the intake. I can not even begin to describe to you how good it sounds.

2 comments:

  1. So, it sound good, but feel bad? you would not recommend it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it doesn't feel bad. Originally I thought I lost power, but it was all in my head. The Injen is by far the best intake on the market right now. Proven statistics. So I would recommend it.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave questions or comments!