Rotational Banner

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Rays Engineering Lug Nuts



On the previous post, I wrote about how these Rays Engineering lug nuts compared to the imitations. Today, I'm here to tell you that these are actually a lot lighter than most lug nuts that come stock with your car.

Obviously, you would think the weight savings on something as small as lug nuts really doesn't make that much of a difference, but when you are shedding unsprung weight, every little bit makes a difference. At least that's my justification for buying these "expensive" lug nuts. These are usually sold for anywhere around $200 to $250. I was lucky enough and got hooked up with a huge discount, and ended up paying only $165 for these.

For my Subaru STI, I was actually a bit suprised to see that the stock lug nuts were extremely light!

50 mm Rays lug nut: 30 grams (1.06 oz)

19 mm Stock STI lug nut: 25 grams (0.88 oz)

Rays lock Nut: 28 grams (0.99 oz)

Stock STI lock nut: 47 grams (1.66 oz)

Total set of Rays lug and lock nuts: 588 grams (20.1 oz)

Total set of Stock STI lug and lock nuts: 592 grams (20.1 oz)

Yes, so eventually, I ended up with almost identical weights. However, because I like the look of the extended lug nuts, I think it is still a worth while mod. Puyang's purchase for his Honda Prelude was much better. The Prelude's stock lug nuts weigh 50 grams (1.76 oz) each!

I always try to make sure that every mod I buy is lighter than stock, if possible. After the amount of money you spend on your car, you want to make sure you end up with something faster and lighter.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave questions or comments!